MCC10-2746 Allergy & Immunology Logo 4C

41 Fairpoint Drive Suite F Gulf Breeze, FL 32561

Dr. Kimura's Recommended Online Resources

American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

Florida Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society

Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network

Asthma Action Plan PDF

Allergy Action Plan PDF

Patient Education

MCC10-2746 Allergy & Immunology Logo 4C

What is an Allergy?

One of the marvels of the human body is that it can defend itself against harmful invaders such as viruses and bacteria. But sometimes the defenses are to aggressive and harmless substances such as dust, molds, or pollen are mistakenly identified as dangerous. The immune system then rallies its defenses, which include several chemicals to attack and destroy the supposed enemy. In the process, some unpleasant and, in extreme cases, life-threatening symptoms may be experienced in the allergy-prone individual.

Types of Allergy Problems:

Allergic Rhinitis
Contact Dermatitis/Skin Allergies
Eye Allergies
Food Allergies

When To See An Allergist

Often, the symptoms of asthma or allergies develop gradually over time. Allergy sufferes may become used to frequent symptoms such as sneezing, nasal congestion or wheezing. With the help of an allergist, these symptoms usually can be prevented or controlled with major improvement in quality of life.

What is an allergist/ immunologist?

An allergist/ immunologist is a medical doctor with specialty training in the diagnosis and treatment of allergic diseases, asthma and diseases of the immune system. To become an allergist, a person must attend college (4 years) and medical school (4 years), and undergo residency training in either internal medicine or pediatrics (3 years each). The physician then must pass a difficult exam to become board-certified in either of these fields.

What types of patients do allergists/ immunologist see?  

An allergist/ immunologist specialize in the treatment of allergic and immunologic diseases. This includes the diagnosis and treatment of allergic rhinitis, allergic eye disease, atopic dermatis (eczeme), urticaria (hives), chronic cough, chronic sinus infections, frequent colds/ bronchitis and immune problems. Allergists also see patients with food allergy, medication allergy, bee sting (venom) allergy and latex allergy.

Usually a primary care physician refers a patient to see an allergist, although some patients will be sent to an allergist from other specialist, such as a dermatologist, an otolarynologist (ear, nose, and throat), a pulmonologist or a rheumatologist.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player